Monday, May 12, 2008

Vistaaahhh

I installed Vista on my Dell notebook a while ago. All I use it for is to remote into my Desktop computer at Library Plaza. I also use it for Overdrive, WOWO streams (when I feel like listening to a bunch of wind bags hehe), and the occasional DVD from AMM. So I am not your typical user of Vista. Now my desktop has XP on it. That is another story. Power User babyyyyyyy!

All the default Windows drivers seem to work OK on my Dell Inspiron 8600. I recently had it refurbished. Seven days left on the warranty and Dell replaced the palm rest, touch pad, LCD and cover. The hard drive was replaced about a year ago. I also upgraded from a Gig of RAM to 2 GB.

What do I think of Vista? Well... I can't say. First I am learning where things are. It is a new OS so Microsoft had to go and change some things. Once I get all that figured out and more comfortable with the desktop environment I will let you know. I, for one, don't understand why they had to push out a new OS. Windows XPSP2 was fine. It runs all our software at work and all my games at home. So why the need? I will leave that answer up to you. I have my ideas but I am not going to go postal at the moment I did that yesterday on my health kick post.

Service Packs
Recently Microsoft pushed out a major service packs for their two main flavors of Windows. Vista SP1 and XPSP3. Here is my take. Service packs are good especially if they fix flaws in the system. As for the installation of Windows XPSP3 on my desktop computer at work. NOT! My system became a bit unstable. Fortunately I was able to uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs and things are back to normal. Now Vista was a 1800. Flawless installation for SP1 and my notebook seems to be doing just fine.

One thing I learned is that operating systems are essentially tools. It is a matter of preference and what you want to use them for that guides many of us to choose the one we use. In some cases its because one OS over another is already pre-installed from the factory. Professionally speaking, I do need to become better acquainted with Linux. That is for another day and post.

Right now Vista suits my notebook pretty good. As soon as I install more programs, or use it for more than a remote gateway so to speak, I will let you know how it goes.

No comments: