Friday, July 11, 2008

Public Firefox 07112008

I am thinking aloud so to speak., but if you have anything to add let me know. Also if you think I am going about this the wrong way let me know too.

OK. So I have been thinking about this and I tried tinkering with the User.js configuration file for Firefox and I can't get everything to go. I am going to try this. Make a snapshot for the public of Firefox. Add firfox.exe to RPM so it will launch on a public machine. Then use another computer to set up Firefox, using the menu editor add-on, to lock it down. Add the search tools and other plugins/settings as desired.

Now I have the application object and a template to work from. Next is just a matter of copying files from the template to the application object. Then editing the appropriate configuration file. This should point firefox to the add-ons and extensions that I copied over from the template (other computer).

I had a more user friendly theme I wanted to use but that may be trickier to set up than getting the other add-ons to work. So the theme will be the last obstacle. If it doesn't work that is no big deal. Oh the name of the theme is Office if you wanted to check it out: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4561
I use it and thought it would a good choice for the public.

The goal is to lock down Firefox in much the same way Internet Explorer already is. And to make sure all the plugins are functioning.

The list of add-ons, search tools, and plugins to be posted soon.

No comments: